I usually don’t like use words like “the best ever”, but sometimes you come across something so good you can’t help it. For me, that’s Barney Butter Smooth Almond Butter.
This stuff is amazing.
I usually hate almond butter. Most of the stuff you buy is gritty and oily. You have to stir it up (which takes a lot of work) to get the oils mixed in and then it’s really gritty when you eat it.
Then I stumbled on Barney Butter almond butter. This stuff is creamy like peanut butter, tastes amazing and it doesn’t have a whole lot of added ingredients.
Now, I will say two things about this that are important to know:
- It DOES have added cane sugar. It’s not a lot of sugar and there’s still more protein than sugar per serving (which is what I look for in these types of foods), but it is added sugar.
- Almond butter (and almonds) in general still have a pretty high caloric value per serving. Barney Butter is no exception, at about 190 calories per serving (2 tablespoons). That’s actually a pretty healthy serving and I usually go about half of that. But you don’t want to sit and eat half a jar of this stuff in a sitting.
So if you’re doing a low carb or carb free thing, then go easy with the Barney Butter. And while I’m not a fan of calorie counting – and I actually don’t encourage it – the truth is that calories do matter. So as with anything, moderation is key here.
That said, here are a few things I do with Barney Butter Almond Butter that you might enjoy too:
- Spread one tablespoon of almond butter on a single piece of Ezekiel bread (sprouted grain or cinnamon raisin), top with half a sliced banana and drizzle with a teaspoon of honey for an incredible pre-workout snack or to satisfy a late night sweet tooth
- Add one tablespoon of almond butter to my morning smoothie. (Mine consists of blueberries, almond milk, almond butter, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and bee pollen)
- A tablespoon of almond butter and a fresh Gala or Fuji apple make for a damn near perfect afternoon snack
It’s versatile, it’s delicious, it’s got good protein content and it gives you a dose of those healthy fats found in almonds and almond butter that will keep you full for a long time.
There are a number of flavors, but my favorite is just the regular smooth almond butter that you can get in small or large containers and even in snack packs.